Sunday, July 07, 2013

Confidence in Christ - a short rant


It does not happen often but sometimes God's Word slaps you across the face like a 2x4. Such was the case recently while I was reading the Epistle to the Ephesians. I began in chapter 4 and made it three verses before sensing the conviction of God. For reference here is the passage.

“I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, 3 eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”

I have two specific observations. First, Paul exhorts the the Ephesians to have confidence in their calling as ministers of the Gospel. Second, he instructs them to be humble and gentle with patience. These two observations have a tension, at least in American culture. How can someone be confident while also being humble and gentle? How do I reconcile Paul's encouragement to be confident in my calling while committing myself to be humble and gentle? From my perspective it's a challenge to live between confidence and humility—especially in a culture where power, money, and authority are valued. 

The antidote, I think, for this tension is found in Christ. In 1 Cor. 1:31 Paul quotes Jeremiah 9:23-24. "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." When confidence is deflected from oneself and drawn from God, perfect humility and gentleness are not contradictions but the outworking of how one lives. The challenge is no longer bridging the tension but seeking Christ for confidence. 

One final thought about this way of living. I hear much about living “counter-cultural.” I see this clearly in the cities where people attempt to live counter to the mass majority. Boasting in Christ is perhaps the most counter-cultural one can get. Christianity in America is no longer valued. Being radical means being a Christian and deriving confidence from Jesus. To be humble and gentle is counter-cultural to seeking money, power, and authority. 

No comments: